Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What T.V. Shows Have Your Attention?

Comments

• I watched the first several episodes of Tracker on CBS. It's entertaining although a little light compared to most streaming series. Episode six is fun because the guest star is Justin Hartley's (This Is US) wife. Watching them joust is entertaining. It's based on one of Jeffrey Deaver's book series.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • NHL Stanley Cup Finals -- we watched the last two games, rooting for Edmonton but enjoying good hockey anyway.
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....The Mayor of Kingstown is simply frickin' awesome.....
    Watched episode 1 of this tonight. 

I've been watching Only Murders in the Building. (We finally got Disney) I LOVE this show.
    (The theme song gives me feelings of Good Omens)

Also watched a couple of seasons of The Responder, it was very good but I felt tense throughout entire episodes, not great after tough days in work. 🙄

GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....The Mayor of Kingstown is simply frickin' awesome.....
    Watched episode 1 of this tonight. 

I've been watching Only Murders in the Building. (We finally got Disney) I LOVE this show.
    (The theme song gives me feelings of Good Omens)

Also watched a couple of seasons of The Responder, it was very good but I felt tense throughout entire episodes, not great after tough days in work. 🙄

I’m so glad you are finally getting to see it. Light fare but fun. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • New season of Grace — Britbox — premieres july 2. 
    KurbenBevVincentGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • If you like comedy, i would like recommend a Netflix special: Sheng Wang - Sweet and Juicy. 

Seriously funny.  

It is so disappointing to watch a comedian and they just aren’t funny. This guy is good. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
    First episode was good -- I like this long episode format.
    First episode was good -- I like this long episode format.
    Oh, that ending was ominous.  

Britbox has more coming — The Tower, Bay and Shetland all have new seasons coming soon. 
    BevVincentGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited July 16
    Finished After the Flood — Britbox. It was okay, enough there to keep me watching. 

Currently watching Unstable — Netflix. Quirky one liner-centric but witty. 

Kleo is coming with season 2. Netflix. This show has a Killing Eve vibe so I enjoyed season 1.  

Grace has been pumping out some seriously good episodes.  The longer format is like a movie of the week but also means we won’t get as many.  What happened to the days of 20+ episodes that maintained intense high-quality consistent programming week after week? Is the attention span of creatives so bad? Is the well running dry sooner than it used to?
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • I thought episode 3 of Grace (You Are Dead) was very meh. Very talky and didactic and falling back on that dumbest of tropes...

The guy who's talking to a bunch of colleagues is really just talking to himself and their skeletons.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I thought episode 3 of Grace (You Are Dead) was very meh. Very talky and didactic and falling back on that dumbest of tropes...

The guy who's talking to a bunch of colleagues is really just talking to himself and their skeletons.

I really enjoyed that episode and trope. This next one looks interesting. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir

I really enjoyed that episode and trope. This next one looks interesting. 
    It's available now!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Hedda Gabler said: This next one looks interesting. 
    That one was better. The children-dying-in-the-water theme seems to repeat in this series.
  • Watched the finale of Presumed Innocent

For a while it looked like it was going to stick to the ending from the novel and movie, but they went in a different and quite surprising direction. I'm still not sure the series needed to be made, though--it's not actually better than the movie. Just longer. It didn't bring anything new to the table other than a good twist.

• I quite enjoyed season 1 of Granite Harbour on Britbox. 
  • Seasons 19-23 of Graham Norton Show on Freevee.  I adore his quick wit. 
    BevVincentGNTLGNT
  • Are any of you watching the Paris Olympics? Can you name any athlete competing? If I sat and thought about it, maybe I could but that’s pretty iffy. 

There is an Olympics where a few names stayed with me. I’m not going to dive into a discussion about the tragedy of the 1972 Munich Olympics. With only 3 or 4 channels at the time, my family was glued to that cluster fuck that highlighted man’s inhumanity to man. So sad. As a little girl, I focused on a positive. 

Ludmilla Tourisheva, a Russian gymnast had my attention and here’s why. She was considered “tall” for a gymnast. If you look up her stats, she was tiny in fact, but I guess at 5 ft 3 in (or 4 inches— I see conflicting info) you are Godzilla. But she was a champion Godzilla. 

Like Lusmilla, I was considered tall and I towered over my lilliputian friends, sticking out like a sore redwood. So when Jim McKay pumped me up on this amazing athlete, I watched her with inspired admiration and I grew confident. I made the decision,
    “I can do that.”

So, not taking into account her years of dedicated training and her cooked-spaghetti flexibility— alone in my house, I marched myself with that stiff gymnast walk to my parents big, open formal living room and proceeded to test the Gods. 

Without a lick of athletic ability, with no tumbling class in my personal history besides a duck, tuck and roll — I ran and tried to fling myself in the air with the confidence that only the dumb assiest of dumb asses could possess. And I really really hurt myself. I landed hard and lay on the floor shocked and baffled. Why in the hell didn’t this go to plan? There was a few pulled muscles and a limp for my troubles and why God didn’t just immediately take me out of the gene pool, well, that says something about hus/her/theys management skills. Unfortunately, “the incident” made me quickly give up my dream from 5 minutes before. 

I was lucky I didn’t break my neck or die. Can you imagine my poor family coming into that scene? I’m pretzeled with a broken neck, dead, in the middle of the formal living room. No sign of a break-in. No signs of a scuffle or defense wounds on my hands. Just carpet burns and an unsolved mystery televised to future generations— who killed this child?

No one would know it was the admiration of a tall girl for a tall girl and Jim fucking McKay egging me on into the agony of defeat. 

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurben
  • The first US medal was won by someone from the community where I live. Also, the niece of one of my colleagues in Japan is competing, too. Haven't watched anything other than the Gojira performance at the opening ceremonies!
  • ....great and telling story Deej....not great that you yeeted yourself, but the fact that you put out there, what I'm sure others have dealt with-no matter the sport....as a young GNT, I was a pretty dead on shot, qualified as sharpshooter on civilian marksman targets....however, there was no medal in my future either.....just a bunch of bullet riddled beer cans that gave their life to Captain Plinker here.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Are any of you watching the Paris Olympics? Can you name any athlete competing? If I sat and thought about it, maybe I could but that’s pretty iffy. 

There is an Olympics where a few names stayed with me. I’m not going to dive into a discussion about the tragedy of the 1972 Munich Olympics. With only 3 or 4 channels at the time, my family was glued to that cluster fuck that highlighted man’s inhumanity to man. So sad. As a little girl, I focused on a positive. 

Ludmilla Tourisheva, a Russian gymnast had my attention and here’s why. She was considered “tall” for a gymnast. If you look up her stats, she was tiny in fact, but I guess at 5 ft 3 in (or 4 inches— I see conflicting info) you are Godzilla. But she was a champion Godzilla. 

Like Lusmilla, I was considered tall and I towered over my lilliputian friends, sticking out like a sore redwood. So when Jim McKay pumped me up on this amazing athlete, I watched her with inspired admiration and I grew confident. I made the decision,
    “I can do that.”

So, not taking into account her years of dedicated training and her cooked-spaghetti flexibility— alone in my house, I marched myself with that stiff gymnast walk to my parents big, open formal living room and proceeded to test the Gods. 

Without a lick of athletic ability, with no tumbling class in my personal history besides a duck, tuck and roll — I ran and tried to fling myself in the air with the confidence that only the dumb assiest of dumb asses could possess. And I really really hurt myself. I landed hard and lay on the floor shocked and baffled. Why in the hell didn’t this go to plan? There was a few pulled muscles and a limp for my troubles and why God didn’t just immediately take me out of the gene pool, well, that says something about hus/her/theys management skills. Unfortunately, “the incident” made me quickly give up my dream from 5 minutes before. 

I was lucky I didn’t break my neck or die. Can you imagine my poor family coming into that scene? I’m pretzeled with a broken neck, dead, in the middle of the formal living room. No sign of a break-in. No signs of a scuffle or defense wounds on my hands. Just carpet burns and an unsolved mystery televised to future generations— who killed this child?

No one would know it was the admiration of a tall girl for a tall girl and Jim fucking McKay egging me on into the agony of defeat. 

💜 ...and 😆 
    Brilliant. 🥰
    KurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Thanks and true.🤦🏼‍♀️
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Thanks and true.🤦🏼‍♀️
    My laughy face was for the telling of it. 😊💜
    It was picture-perfect storytelling with your trademark humour that protects the vulnerable child that was. I'm really sorry you were injured. 😔

Also... one of my kids once did a forward flip (from the floor, attempting to land on their feet) when they received some exciting news. The kid was standing in our kitchen at the time and later explained that for a moment they thought they were still on the trampoline. 🙄
    It ended with a very winded kid.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Netflix) is a good YA Broadchurch-like series. A perky, resourceful teen is determined to solve the disappearance of another girl five years earlier and absolve the accused killer of the crime.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Netflix) is a good YA Broadchurch-like series. A perky, resourceful teen is determined to solve the disappearance of another girl five years earlier and absolve the accused killer of the crime.
    Watching this now. I don’t know who done it yet.,
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
    Watching this now. I don’t know who done it yet.,
    It's a well-constructed whodunit.