Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Ka-tet Cantina 2020

Comments

• edited August 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....I wouldn't even worry about the flowerpot Kurb, plant something in the damn thing-even if it's of the plastic variety....I don't believe they are repeat nesters, maybe locale-but not specific location....
    Not sure about doves, but we have a lot of birds that will return to the same territory. And the kids will come back too.  Marsha had this problem and maybe she can speak to it?
    KurbenFlakeNoirNeesyMarshaspideymanNotarodoyoulove19
  • Are they mourning doves?

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaspideymanNotarodoyoulove19
  • Neesy said:
    Are they mourning doves?

I should say they are more concerned.....   :)
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaspideymanNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • I love the voice of a Mourning Dove.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaspideymanFlakeNoirNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • Concerns for @SusanNorton.  Hope she can make contact to let us know she is ok.  Tropical Ida is not being kind to Louisiana or Mississippi.  And it's path continues NorthEast.
    cone graphic
    catHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaFlakeNoirNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    Neesy said:
    Are they mourning doves?

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
    KurbenGNTLGNTMarshaspideymanFlakeNoirNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • edited August 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....I wouldn't even worry about the flowerpot Kurb, plant something in the damn thing-even if it's of the plastic variety....I don't believe they are repeat nesters, maybe locale-but not specific location....
    Not sure about doves, but we have a lot of birds that will return to the same territory. And the kids will come back too.  Marsha had this problem and maybe she can speak to it?
    ....I looked around a bit, and found that they do return to the same nesting locations yearly if they have been successful and feel safe(my apologies for flubbing the earlier comment)....plus, they can lay eggs up to 5 times in a season, so Kurb, ya might wanna move the flower pot....
    MarshaKurbenspideymanFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • spideyman said:
    Concerns for @SusanNorton.  Hope she can make contact to let us know she is ok.  Tropical Ida is not being kind to Louisiana or Mississippi.  And it's path continues NorthEast.
    cone graphic
    ...it is devastating the coast, I grieve for all-especially my medical community kin....Covid resurgence, and now this......
    MarshaspideymanFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    Neesy said:
    Are they mourning doves?

Now that39s funny right there I don39t care who you are That there is funny  - Scumbag Larry The Cable Guy - quickmeme
    MarshaKurbenspideymanHedda GablerNotaroNeesy
  • spideyman said:
    Concerns for @SusanNorton.  Hope she can make contact to let us know she is ok.  Tropical Ida is not being kind to Louisiana or Mississippi.  And it's path continues NorthEast.
    cone graphic

I had posted yesterday and heard back from her today on FB. She and family were in Mississippi to wait out the storm. Everybody ok but very worried that their homes won't be there when they are able to go back.

catspideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • GNTLGNT said:

They've made a nest the past 2 springs in the tree outside my balcony in AZ. I'm pretty sure they would have used the same nest but I had seen other birds taking pieces of it away earlier in the season, presumably to make their own nests elsewhere. The doves picked a branch a little higher but same tree. No way to know if it was the same pair of doves, though. Apparently mourning doves are protected in the area and nests cannot be moved no matter where they are until the chicks have fledged and abandoned it. The yoga instructor told me a friend of her husband found a nest in (on? maybe it was a pickup) his vehicle (he'd left it over the weekend at his workplace) and he had to leave it there so couldn't use his car for the duration because of that. I've been able to see the chicks in the nests but haven't been there at the right time to see them take their first flights. Would love to see that sometime but don't think it's worth hanging around in the heat for it.
    not_nadineFlakeNoirKurbenspideymanGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroNeesy
  • Snapped a quick pic of my nesting dove...

spideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshacatNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • ....Rock pigeon I think?.....and same basic habits as doves.....
    Hedda GablerKurbenMarshaNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • Yo  uh also had the nest problem in  maine too, in your outside sitting space too, haven’t you? Waiting for them to clear out to knock it down and they got in there again before you did. Am i misremembering that?
    GNTLGNTKurbenMarshaFlakeNoirNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • Yo  uh also had the nest problem in  maine too, in your outside sitting space too, haven’t you? Waiting for them to clear out to knock it down and they got in there again before you did. Am i misremembering that?

Oh, right. I had my mind focused on doves. The ones in Maine that keep nesting in my screen house are phoebes. I'm hoping the screens stay intact over the winter so I won't have them visiting next year. I've taken the nest down but did that last year, too, and they found a way in to build another one. Had to wait for their second brood to fledge before I could use the screenhouse which was early July. I was not a happy camper about that.
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Whats the difference between doves and pigeons??
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    Snapped a quick pic of my nesting dove...

GNTLGNT said:
    ....Rock pigeon I think?.....and same basic habits as doves.....

Definitely a pigeon, not a dove, or at least what we call a pigeon here. :)
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Marsha said:
    Kurben said:

GNTLGNT said:

Did not know there was a difference...........
    MarshaFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    Marsha said:
    Kurben said:

GNTLGNT said:

They're both in the same family so not a difference as far as that is concerned but I think most Americans think of the brown ones when they think of a dove. :)  

KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Marsha said:
    Kurben said:
    Marsha said:
    Kurben said:

GNTLGNT said:

They're both in the same family so not a difference as far as that is concerned but I think most Americans think of the brown ones when they think of a dove. :)  

In sweden we translate both Pigeon and dove with Duva. the source of my confusion.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirnot_nadineNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • We have mourning doves, they look totally different than pigeions.  ?
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • We have mourning doves, they look totally different than pigeions.  ?
    Well, i'm no birdexpert but considering there are so many different species of doves/pigeons all around the world it would be more surprising if they looked the same i think.
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:

I've never seen a pigeon this pretty so I didn't think we had any but Scott says he has. I've only seen gray ones, never any with pretty green on them!
    FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Our doves are usually white, but your bird looks just like our pigeons do @Kurben ... she is beautiful, I can't wait to see her babies, this is so exciting... thank you for sharing them with us. 😍
    KurbenNotaroMarshacatGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    Whats the difference between doves and pigeons??
    https://pigeonpedia.com/difference-between-dove-and-pigeon/
    Hedda GablerKurbennot_nadineFlakeNoirNotarospideymanMarshaNeesydoyoulove19