Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Ka-tet Cantina 2020

Comments

• Ooo, so nice to see your bright yellow sign.  I hope you and et al are doing  great!
    You as well!! Crazy world just getting crazier…
    FlakeNoirspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
  • Nice to see Kurben has shortened up his posts!!🤣
    Great to see you again!!!
    Out of OrderHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    Nice to see Kurben has shortened up his posts!!🤣
    Hey Kurben! Hope you are well!! How are things in Europe these days? Any normalcy or are things going back to the way we’re a few months ago with COVID-19 rearing it’s ugliness again like it is here in the States?
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Kurben said:
    Nice to see Kurben has shortened up his posts!!🤣
    Hey Kurben! Hope you are well!! How are things in Europe these days? Any normalcy or are things going back to the way we’re a few months ago with COVID-19 rearing it’s ugliness again like it is here in the States?
    Well, its more normal than in the states i think. Most people are vaccinated, the big opposition against vaccine is much weaker here even if its exists. On the continent, france especially its different, they are making laws that unless you have two shots of vaccine you arent let in in restaurents, pubs and the like. Here its still safe distance and Masks if you travel with bus or subway but people are getting lazy. But people are feeling safe because they have taken the vaccine so the mask go off. Often anyway. Be well Triple O! Myself has read through the pandemic, as long as there is books i'm allright!
    Out of OrderFlakeNoirspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
  • Triple O and Deb!!! So very nice to see you both again!
    Fare thee well good people...💚💜

@Out of Order @Debbie913
    Hedda GablerspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesyOut of Orderdoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    This is the perhaps strangest and most filled with unsolved riddles of all the runestones of sweden. Its standing in a small village named Sparlösa. Many of the runes are written in some sort of code. A direct translation letter for letter makes no sense. Also one the only runestone with so many pictures in it. And one of the only two thats is carved on all 4 sides of the stone. Made about the year 800 in the beginning of the Viking age.

And the award for "World's Best Doodler" goes to...

This is fantastic Kurben! 
    KurbenHedda GablerspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
  • This is a grave from the stone age. dated to about 2000-1800 bc. It is the end of the stone age in sweden and it contained many persons. At least 4 probably more. It is 10 meters long and 2 meters wide. Originally it had roofstones that was placed across to form a closed room for the dead. They had gifts in the form of arrows, flint tools and food with them. This is one of the most well preserved graves of this kind. Most often they are so overgrown that just a few stones are visible but here its easy to see what they looked like originally.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • edited August 2021
    Kurben said:
    This is a grave from the stone age. dated to about 2000-1800 bc. It is the end of the stone age in sweden and it contained many persons. At least 4 probably more. It is 10 meters long and 2 meters wide. Originally it had roofstones that was placed across to form a closed room for the dead. They had gifts in the form of arrows, flint tools and food with them. This is one of the most well preserved graves of this kind. Most often they are so overgrown that just a few stones are visible but here its easy to see what they looked like originally.

Not sure if you know kurben, when did the tradition of laying flowers on a grave  start and what was their reason? I know they buried things with them, but is flower laying on top of a grave more a “modern ” practice?  practical tributes that the deceased could use in the afterlife were left with them, But when and why flowers? 

For us now, they are tributes of remembrance — more sentimental and pretty.  But i’m not sure how sentimental early man was. 
    FlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    This is a grave from the stone age. dated to about 2000-1800 bc. It is the end of the stone age in sweden and it contained many persons. At least 4 probably more. It is 10 meters long and 2 meters wide. Originally it had roofstones that was placed across to form a closed room for the dead. They had gifts in the form of arrows, flint tools and food with them. This is one of the most well preserved graves of this kind. Most often they are so overgrown that just a few stones are visible but here its easy to see what they looked like originally.

Not sure if you know kurben, when did the tradition of laying flowers on a grave  start and what was their reason? I know they buried things with them, but is flower laying on top of a grave more a “modern ” practice?  practical tributes that the deceased could use in the afterlife were left with them, But when and why flowers? 

For us now, they are tributes of remembrance — more sentimental and pretty.  But i’m not sure how sentimental early man was. 
    The tradition of flowers is first well documented with the ancient greeks. About 500-400 bc. They used to lay flowers on the graves of fallen warriors. They thought that if the flowers rooted and started, after a while, to grow on the grave it was a sign that the fallen had found peace. But it is entirely possible that it is much earlier. We know of one Neanderhal grave that had had flowers in it. Was that a custom? Or a singular occurrence? Impossible to say. It was just luck that it was preserved well enough. That is dateable to about 35.000 bc. And all the people in between we simply do not have any evidence either way. Flowers are so perishable that they seldom leave trace in the archaeological evidence. We know, according to jewish scriptures, that the jewish people did not practise it. To derive benefit (that is the flagrance of flowers) from anything associated with death was considered a sin. A minor one but still. But the early christians may have used it. They were inspired by the greeks and had much contact with greeks and romans. More as time passed and they became increasingly hostile to their jewish origin. But flowers also had a practical reason to be at funerals. They hid the smell of the deceased since it was not always possible to bury a person in a few days. Since embalming was not really a thing bodies started to smell and flowers were used to hide it. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • edited August 2021
    I was going to mention odors, but i was thinking that hiding the  smell of the body was a modern thing given wakes — the deceased can be in the home quite a while.  Now that i think about this, it seems I’m remembering more cultures spending time  with their dead.  So they would have to make that more pleasant. 

There are drying out processes that many cultures use so they can bring grandma home  for a visit every now and then— seems like there is a south American??? Tradition that happens to this day.

Egyptians were big into fragrant oils, weren’t they? But i think only the wealthy would have used it for their dead?

interesting. Thank you. 
    FlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesydoyoulove19
  • edited August 2021
    And again, hiding smell during the mourning process was a practical need.  Why the continuing  tribute on top of graves after? The threat of smell gone.  Like you point out, flowers die and dry out and blow away as dust.  

I do like that sprouting flowers indicated  they found peace, that’s really fascinating. 

Is this perhaps a flower industry construct to sell flowers, sort of like hallmark makes up
    holidays to sell cards? 
    MarshaGNTLGNTcatNotaroFlakeNoirNeesydoyoulove19
  • I was going to mention odors, but i was thinking that hiding the  smell of the body was a modern thing given wakes — the deceased can be in the home quite a while.  Now that i think about this, it seems I’m remembering more cultures spending time  with their dead.  So they would have to make that more pleasant. 

There are drying out processes that many cultures use so they can bring grandma home  for a visit every now and then— seems like there is a south American??? Tradition that happens to this day.

Egyptians were big into fragrant oils, weren’t they? But i think only the wealthy would have used it for their dead?

interesting. Thank you. 
    As for egyptians.... They were obsessed with death. But they were not the first to embalm their dead. Before burial they took out entrails, brain and stomach liver and things.they were good at it. Their bodies did not smell overly in death. The wealthy got a much better treatment and slaves probably got a massgrave. The oils you mention were used on the skin mostly to preserve it well and also as a perfume as the dead would want to look his or her best as they faced their next life.
    The Chinchorro culture embalmed all people, young, old, rich, poor and even fetuses. It was an important thing obviously. The oldest mummy is 7000 bc but that is naturally mummified. The oldest artificial mummies where entrails were taken out is dated to 5000 bc. They were located in chile in the andean valleys but never built monuments or things like that.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNotaroFlakeNoirNeesyMarshadoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    I was going to mention odors, but i was thinking that hiding the  smell of the body was a modern thing given wakes — the deceased can be in the home quite a while.  Now that i think about this, it seems I’m remembering more cultures spending time  with their dead.  So they would have to make that more pleasant. 

interesting. Thank you. 
    As for egyptians.... They were obsessed with death. But they were not the first to embalm their dead. Before burial they took out entrails, brain and stomach liver and things.they were good at it. Their bodies did not smell overly in death. The wealthy got a much better treatment and slaves probably got a massgrave. The oils you mention were used on the skin mostly to preserve it well and also as a perfume as the dead would want to look his or her best as they faced their next life.
    The Chinchorro culture embalmed all people, young, old, rich, poor and even fetuses. It was an important thing obviously. The oldest mummy is 7000 bc but that is naturally mummified. The oldest artificial mummies where entrails were taken out is dated to 5000 bc. They were located in chile in the andean valleys but never built monuments or things like that.
    I just learn so much from you — thanks for taking time. 
    GNTLGNTKurbencatNotaroFlakeNoirNeesyMarshadoyoulove19
  • Debbie913 said:
    HI!! 
     I've been missing the SKMB and many of the people, so I decided it was time to find you guys! I'll never catch up with all the goings on, but I intend to try. :-)
    Hope all are well!
    ....HIYA HONEY!!!!!!....a Musketeer is back!!..... <3
    Hedda GablerKurbencatDebbie913FlakeNoirNeesyMarshadoyoulove19
    well well look what the dog dragged in - SmarmyCat  Meme Generator
    Hedda GablerKurbencatNotaroFlakeNoirNeesyMarshadoyoulove19
  • ....fascinating stuff Kurb!.....now I need to move down the hall to Home Ec......
    Hedda GablerKurbencatFlakeNoirNeesyMarshadoyoulove19
  • Debbie!  Welcome home.
    Hedda GablerDebbie913NotaroFlakeNoirNeesyKurbenGNTLGNTMarshadoyoulove19
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Debbie913 said:
    HI!! 
     I've been missing the SKMB and many of the people, so I decided it was time to find you guys! I'll never catch up with all the goings on, but I intend to try. :-)
    Hope all are well!
    ....HIYA HONEY!!!!!!....a Musketeer is back!!..... <3
    Hi Scott!!!!   You knew I'd be back....<3 I miss you too much to stay away!
    NotaroFlakeNoirNeesyKurbencatGNTLGNTMarshadoyoulove19
  • Debbie!  Welcome home.
    Thanks!
    NotaroFlakeNoirNeesycatGNTLGNTMarshadoyoulove19
  • Debbie913 said:
    HI!! 
    Hope all are well!

Long time no see - what's new?

<3

KurbencatHedda GablerDebbie913FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshadoyoulove19

Wow - first Debbie913 - now you! How's life? Still fishin'?
    :)
    KurbencatHedda GablerDebbie913FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshadoyoulove19
  • Neesy said:
    Debbie913 said:
    HI!! 
    Hope all are well!

<3

NEW...
    My hubby and I FINALLY bought a house. (AKA...finally bought a money pit.) I seriously believed this was a long time dream...now I almost (mostly) wish we were still renting!
     There's more, but....one subject at a time
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaNeesydoyoulove19
  • Debbie913 said:
    Neesy said:
    Debbie913 said:
    HI!! 
    Hope all are well!

<3

NEW...
    My hubby and I FINALLY bought a house. (AKA...finally bought a money pit.) I seriously believed this was a long time dream...now I almost (mostly) wish we were still renting!
     There's more, but....one subject at a time
    ...now you just need someone to wash the windows....oh wait......
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirDebbie913MarshaNeesydoyoulove19