Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Ka-tet Cantina 2020

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:

There you go....lol

Hedda Gablernot_nadinecatNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Hi all - Checkin in, I've been lurking and miss you all.
    Still getting settled in the new place and working from home.   :)
    catFlakeNoirghost19NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesydoyoulove19
  • edited August 2021
    Did I mention the little fact that my BF is moving in?   With his cat?  My whole life is changing, and I am more than a little freaked.  But happy.
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaNeesydoyoulove19
  • Did I mention the little fact that my BF is moving in?   With his cat?  My whole life is changing, and I am more than a little freaked.  But happy.
    Keep breathing.... 🙂 you will be fine, it's absolutely okay for good things to happen to and for you. Try to remember this... 🙂
    Notaronot_nadineKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaNeesydoyoulove19
  • Hi every one! I'm back from my little roadtrip. In the parts that usually called Swedens birthplace. This pic above is an old Castle where the bishops of Husaby, a very important place but now just the ruins remain. Built in around the year 1200. It is also the place where the first christian swedish king was baptized in 1060. outdoors, not in the castle. Bishops in that time were not so rich they could build castles. More pics to come i hope i'm just learning how to do this. The modern thing in front was built to protect the foundations from weather damages.
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • Fantastic @Kurben Did you guys have a great time? Very cool photo, looking forward to more. 🙂
    NotaroHedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • ghost19 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

There you go....lol

Arghhh... I keep missing posts. I sign in and instead of taking me to the first unread message, it takes me to the last posted. 
    I'm sorry if it looks like I'm not reading messages you guys. 

@ghost19 I can't see this song, but am assuming it's something loud. 😁
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablercatGNTLGNTMarshaNeesydoyoulove19
  • FlakeNoir said:
    ghost19 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

There you go....lol

Arghhh... I keep missing posts. I sign in and instead of taking me to the first unread message, it takes me to the last posted. 
    I'm sorry if it looks like I'm not reading messages you guys. 

@ghost19 I can't see this song, but am assuming it's something loud. 😁
    Quiet Riot...not sure I ever heard any song from them that didn't sound better the louder you played it...lol
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTspideymanMarshaNeesydoyoulove19
  • edited August 2021
    Kurben said:
    Hi every one! I'm back from my little roadtrip. In the parts that usually called Swedens birthplace. This pic above is an old Castle where the bishops of Husaby, a very important place but now just the ruins remain. Built in around the year 1200. It is also the place where the first christian swedish king was baptized in 1060. outdoors, not in the castle. Bishops in that time were not so rich they could build castles. More pics to come i hope i'm just learning how to do this. The modern thing in front was built to protect the foundations from weather damages.
    Oh terrific photo! And so interesting. I hope you guys are having just the best time. And thanks for taking time out to share with us!
    FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTspideymanMarshaNeesydoyoulove19
  • Did I mention the little fact that my BF is moving in?   With his cat?  My whole life is changing, and I am more than a little freaked.  But happy.
    Awww, it’s all happening!!!!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanMarshacatNeesydoyoulove19
  • ;;;lessee if I gots this right....Kurben and Nottie are moving into an old castle together, and Quiet Riot is playing a concert there....damn, that's awesome!!!!....congrats you crazy kids!....
    Hedda Gablercatghost19KurbenFlakeNoirMarshaNeesydoyoulove19
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ;;;lessee if I gots this right....Kurben and Nottie are moving into an old castle together, and Quiet Riot is playing a concert there....damn, that's awesome!!!!....congrats you crazy kids!....
    You got that right to the minutest detail.....
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanMarshacatNeesy
  • This is the perhaps strangest and most filled with unsolved riddles of all the runestones of sweden. Its standing in a small village named Sparlösa. Many of the runes are written in some sort of code. A direct translation letter for letter makes no sense. Also one the only runestone with so many pictures in it. And one of the only two thats is carved on all 4 sides of the stone. Made about the year 800 in the beginning of the Viking age.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideymanMarshacatNeesydoyoulove19
  • Oh wow, that’s so cool.what are your thoughts and guesses about these stones?
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirspideymanMarshacatNeesy
    ...oh don't rune his fun...all in good time....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirspideymanMarshacatNeesy
  • HI!! 
     I've been missing the SKMB and many of the people, so I decided it was time to find you guys! I'll never catch up with all the goings on, but I intend to try. :-)
    Hope all are well!
    not_nadineFlakeNoirNotarospideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
  • Debbie!!!!!! It’s so great to see you! I hope you are well as well!   

Lots of yakkin’ here. Pop yourself some popcorn and come on in!
    not_nadineDebbie913FlakeNoirNotarospideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
    My guesses are that the pictures are mythologic in nature. I think the Rider with the sword at the bottom can be two things. Either he is Odin leading the other gods to battle or he is a hero from one of the nordic Sagas. Perhaps even a now forgotten Saga. This is after all 800 AD and it would be another 400 years before they were written down in the form we know know them. Some probably got lost on the way. The big animal above is usually thought to be a lion but i doubt that because Lions are not a part of the nordic world, neither in the sagas or the myths about gods. There is though a fearsome big wolf called Fenrisulven that is one of the Gods main enemies and this might be a portrayal of him. The ship above is, IMO, not a real ship but the mythological ship Nagelfar that is built of dead mens nails (Nagel=nail) and is built in the realm of the giants and commandeered by Loki when he joins the enemy and leads them to the big battle, Ragnarök, to end it all where the gods and their enemies kill each other. The two birds in the mast might be Hugin and Munin, two ravens that were Odins birds and eyes wherever he sent them. Because they watched Odin was seldom surprised. They might be some evil birds too of course but i cant remember any in the nordic mythology. The templelike building at the top is a bit more unclear. It might be Valhall, Odins house or Trudvang thats Tors house or some other gods house. My guess is Valhall. This was made in a sweden before the first missionary arrived. The only contact was the one encountered on raids, like the one at irish Lindesfarne 793 or trade southwards. We know that there was trade because of things found long before the Viking age but that had not influenced the way they envisioned the world yet. I also think that the inscriptions, or at least the runes but perhaps not the pictures, are made at different times. The oldest that does not make sense are from ca 800 and then there are some that makes sense and are typical of later meanings with runestones. To conmemorate a deceased relative. That late addition is perhaps dataable to about 1000 AD. In between are runes that seem to say that a certain Eirik is planning a Viking raid and has offered a certain Sigvar to join him. I think this stone was situated at the market square in the old village and the mythologic pics are the oldest. The unsolved runes are probably from that time to. That they are in code probably implies that they were meant to be read by the gods and not by the ordinary man. Which in turn implies that the, perhaps not maker, but the one that ordered the stone to be made had some kind of priesterly function in their society. Then, later, the two sides that were not used, started to get used by other people in a more practical way like organizing a viking raid or conmemorating dead people. Just my thoughts, some of them is not at all in line with people studying these things. When Christendom had won the people over to christianity this stone was used as building material for the first church in Sparlösa. It was discovered again 1669 at a renovation of the church and some drawings were made but nothing more. In 1937 it was taken out from the church and given its own place. And since 1982 it has been given its own house to protect it from the weather.
    NotaroFlakeNoirspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
  • Kurben said:
    Oh wow, that’s so cool.what are your thoughts and guesses about these stones?
    My guesses are that the pictures are mythologic in nature. I think the Rider with the sword at the bottom can be two things. Either he is Odin leading the other gods to battle or he is a hero from one of the nordic Sagas. Perhaps even a now forgotten Saga. This is after all 800 AD and it would be another 400 years before they were written down in the form we know know them. Some probably got lost on the way. The big animal above is usually thought to be a lion but i doubt that because Lions are not a part of the nordic world, neither in the sagas or the myths about gods. There is though a fearsome big wolf called Fenrisulven that is one of the Gods main enemies and this might be a portrayal of him. The ship above is, IMO, not a real ship but the mythological ship Nagelfar that is built of dead mens nails (Nagel=nail) and is built in the realm of the giants and commandeered by Loki when he joins the enemy and leads them to the big battle, Ragnarök, to end it all where the gods and their enemies kill each other. The two birds in the mast might be Hugin and Munin, two ravens that were Odins birds and eyes wherever he sent them. Because they watched Odin was seldom surprised. They might be some evil birds too of course but i cant remember any in the nordic mythology. The templelike building at the top is a bit more unclear. It might be Valhall, Odins house or Trudvang thats Tors house or some other gods house. My guess is Valhall. This was made in a sweden before the first missionary arrived. The only contact was the one encountered on raids, like the one at irish Lindesfarne 793 or trade southwards. We know that there was trade because of things found long before the Viking age but that had not influenced the way they envisioned the world yet. I also think that the inscriptions, or at least the runes but perhaps not the pictures, are made at different times. The oldest that does not make sense are from ca 800 and then there are some that makes sense and are typical of later meanings with runestones. To conmemorate a deceased relative. That late addition is perhaps dataable to about 1000 AD. In between are runes that seem to say that a certain Eirik is planning a Viking raid and has offered a certain Sigvar to join him. I think this stone was situated at the market square in the old village and the mythologic pics are the oldest. The unsolved runes are probably from that time to. That they are in code probably implies that they were meant to be read by the gods and not by the ordinary man. Which in turn implies that the, perhaps not maker, but the one that ordered the stone to be made had some kind of priesterly function in their society. Then, later, the two sides that were not used, started to get used by other people in a more practical way like organizing a viking raid or conmemorating dead people. Just my thoughts, some of them is not at all in line with people studying these things. When Christendom had won the people over to christianity this stone was used as building material for the first church in Sparlösa. It was discovered again 1669 at a renovation of the church and some drawings were made but nothing more. In 1937 it was taken out from the church and given its own place. And since 1982 it has been given its own house to protect it from the weather.
    Thank you for such a detailed response.  Your guesses  are just as valid as anyone’s and more so than most given your background. 

Differing ideas are good, it makes everyone think bigger and more creatively. Jmo
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19
  • Nice to see Kurben has shortened up his posts!!🤣
    Hedda GablerKurbenNotaroFlakeNoirnot_nadinespideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesyand 1 other.
  • edited August 2021
    Ooo, so nice to see your bright yellow sign.  I hope you and et al are doing  great!
    Out of OrderKurbenNotaroFlakeNoirspideymanMarshaGNTLGNTcatNeesydoyoulove19