Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• Got a taste for Howard Hawks movies so watched El Dorado from 1966, the last good movie he did i think. He made Rio Lobo after this but it is a lesser version of this one and this is a lesser version of Rio Bravo (1959) which is one of the true great westerns. John Wayne starring together with Robert Mitchum, James Caan, Charlene Holt and Arthur Hunnicutt. This is the kind of thing Wayne does real good. He might not have the biggest range as an actor but the things he did he did well. This is already looking back on the golden age of westerns, the 40 and 50,s. During the 60,s the soaghetti western ala Leone (Eastwood and Bronson) abd even if Leones were really good many others followed his trail and they werent. The realistic western was born and movies like The wild bunch and Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, both from 1969, lead the way into the 70,s. I kind of miss the good old days as westerns go. I always enjoy a good western but i have a weakness for the oldies. Perhaps they werent realistic but they were a joy to watch. Now and then we see a throwback, often succesful, like Silverado (1985) with Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover and Kevin Kline in the leads but they all have a little more humour thrown in. They are clearly more inspired by the classic than the what i call realistic westerns. That does not mean it has to be immensely bloody, like The Wild Bunch or The Long Riders, they can be relatively quiet like A Man Called Horse, Dances With Wolfes or the relatively recent The revenant.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroNeesy
  • We enjoyed The Holdovers on Peacock, starring Paul Giamatti as an ancient history prof at a boarding school for boys who has to stay at the school over the two-week Christmas break with students who have nowhere to go for the holidays. He's bitter and jaded and gruff, hated by students and faculty alike, but is given a chance to see himself and the world through different eyes.
    KurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroNeesyFlakeNoir
  • edited January 13
    We enjoyed The Holdovers on Peacock, starring Paul Giamatti as an ancient history prof at a boarding school for boys who has to stay at the school over the two-week Christmas break with students who have nowhere to go for the holidays. He's bitter and jaded and gruff, hated by students and faculty alike, but is given a chance to see himself and the world through different eyes.
    This was up for a golden globe. Never heard of it till the show. 
    GNTLGNTNotaroNeesyFlakeNoir
  • Last night we watched Oppenheimer. My daughter and son-in-law saw it when we were visiting them over the holidays. They intended to split it up into two nights, because they could only start watching at 9 pm, but they were so into it they stayed up to midnight to finish it. We started much earlier in in the evening. I can see why they couldn't stop--by the time you reach the Trinity test section, there's no way we would have paused for a day. Robert Downey, Jr. is excellent as the primary antagonist, although he's ingratiating through most of the film. Emily Blunt is terrific, too...a fierce defender of her husband. Only a little science, in case that puts people off. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroNeesyFlakeNoir
  • Amazoncom War of the Worlds  Dakota Fanning Tim Robbins Miranda Otto  Justin Chatwin Tom Cruise Steven Spielberg Movies  TV...very uneven adaptation of the Wells classic....though Tim Robbins is great in it......
    I think Aquaman is one of the best DC movies Its visually stunning  goofy dramatic and uses the trope of long lost prince coming back and  regaining his throne really well What...one of the better DC films.....
    KurbenHedda GablerNotaroNeesyFlakeNoir
  • Movie - Broken Arrow - 1950 Cast Video Trailer photos Reviews Showtimes
    This was good. And strangely enough, in a movie with James Stewart in it, the actor that impressed me most was Jeff Chandler as Cochise. It is made in 1950 and is one of the first westerns were native americans were seen as sympathetic characters. Based a bit loosely on true events but the bad guys here mostly are white settlers and stupid army colonels. Portrays around an army scout and his parleying with Cochise that eventually lead to a peacetreaty. It was broken by Geronimo who is a young hothead here in a minor role.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroNeesyFlakeNoir
  • Knights of the Zodiac 2023 - IMDb....disjointed romp that brought in many elements including Karate Kid and Mortal Kombat.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Bounce - Escape Plan The Extractors.......meh, some good "kills"...otherwise the script was tepid at best.....

Luther The Fallen Sun  Review  Netflix Thriller  Heaven of Horror....Idris Elba does a decent turn here and Andy Serkis is friggin' brilliant!...
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Triple Frontier film - Wikipedia......fair to middling twisted up heist movie....

Amazoncom Brawl In Cell Block 99 DVD  Vince Vaughn Jennifer  Carpenter Don Johnson Udo Kier Marc Blucas Tom Guiry Dan Amboyer Fred  Melamed Rob Morgan Mustafa Shakir Benji Bakshi S Craig......I wasn't expecting much here, but was astounded about how well Vince broke his "stereotype" and owned this film.....GNT thumbs up.....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • French Connection 2
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Predator (the original from 87) which holds up fine. I really like the intense acting from the guy playing the scout Billy, a Sonny Landham (never heard of sadly) that feel the predator before everyone else. "There is something out there, and its not a man. We are all gonna die!". He is the one that makes you feel this movie. Arnie is good too, one of his best action flicks, but Landham is my fave in this movie. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Thought i should take the opportunity and see Predators (2010) sequel with Adrien Brody, Alice Braga, Danny Trejo and Laurence Fishburne. More names than in the original but a much lesser movie. Several scenes more or less repeated. easy to watch but rather forgettable.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT

• Beyond Skyline 2017 - IMDb....welp, the outtakes were better than the movie......

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Lucy 2014 film - Wikipedia.....what a mindfu*k of a movie about the mind....
    FlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Lucy 2014 film - Wikipedia.....what a mindfu*k of a movie about the mind....
    Yes but it only went so far, I bet they could've gone 90% further if they'd only done more drugs on set.🤔😉
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • ....yeppur, but them blue Pop Rocks did look sorta yummy.....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Flight 7500 — Freevee. Interesting enough. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • The Colony (2013) with Laurence Fishburne and Bill Paxton. Scifi thriller about people living in underground bunkers during a new ice age. Fairly formulaic but decent. No new ideas and the characters seemed like they wanted more time to evolve to be really interesting. short movie at about 84 minutes.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited February 19
    Has anyone seen Saltburn and your thoughts?

this looks incredibly creepy to me with scenes that are totally gratuitous. (By the little I’ve read). 

I’m a big believer in creativity and telling the story that needs told. But if crap is added for the sake of trying to be artsy and edgy, it just doesn’t work.  For me. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I'm hesitant to try Saltburn -- I've only heard rumblings, but it sounds...icky.

We watched the new version of The Color Purple last night. It's a musical, but it's really powerful. We both enjoyed it.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Thanksgiving— 2023 

i’m absolutely obnoxious in always knowing who the killer is.  Early.  I’m too old to be surprised with the horror stuff I guess.  
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Buy Ready Player One - Microsoft Store....caught it last night finally.....what a great and fun film....course I loved the hell out of the SK segment....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • We started watching The Good House with Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline but bowed out after about 35 minutes. It just didn't hold our interest.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  •  I watched this.  It creep me out big big

GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited February 28
    Too late to edit, don't watch trailer.  scream instead unexpected.

I am not a screamer but jump scares got me.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir