Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• edited November 2023
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...caught a couple yesterday....

RESIDENT EVIL DEATH ISLAND  Sony Pictures Entertainment...CGI movie, not bad (except for the dialog)-but also like trying to play the game but you have no controller.....

The Killer 2023 - IMDb...I found this one fascinating......
    I am watching The Killer. I don’t know what it is, but I love narrated movies.  No matter how sparse or dense that narration is, I love it. 

At the beginning, The Killer says:  “It only takes a few episodes of Dateline to know there are countless ways to trip oneself up. If you can think of a dozen, you’re a genius. I’m no genius.”

Sound familiar?

Let’s take a look at one of my favorite noir movies, 1981’s, Body Heat. 

[Ned is getting the arson set-up from Teddy] 
    • Teddy Lewis : Hey now, I want to ask you something. Are you listening to me, asshole? Because, I like you. I got a serious question for you: What the fuck are you doing? This is not shit for you to be messin' with. Are you ready to hear something? I want you to see if this sounds familiar: any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna fuck up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius - and you ain't no genius. You remember who told me that?

I think this is going to be interesting. 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Caught Reptile on Netflix starring Benicio Toro, a blast from the past - Alicia Silverstone and Justin Timberlake. It's a murder mystery that really dwells on what is not being said. There's some great shots of characters looking at each other with a lot of subtext left for the viewer to decipher.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...caught a couple yesterday....

RESIDENT EVIL DEATH ISLAND  Sony Pictures Entertainment...CGI movie, not bad (except for the dialog)-but also like trying to play the game but you have no controller.....

The Killer 2023 - IMDb...I found this one fascinating......
    I am watching The Killer. I don’t know what it is, but I love narrated movies.  No matter how sparse or dense that narration is, I love it. 

At the beginning, The Killer says:  “It only takes a few episodes of Dateline to know there are countless ways to trip oneself up. If you can think of a dozen, you’re a genius. I’m no genius.”

Sound familiar?

Let’s take a look at one of my favorite noir movies, 1981’s, Body Heat. 

[Ned is getting the arson set-up from Teddy] 
    • Teddy Lewis : Hey now, I want to ask you something. Are you listening to me, asshole? Because, I like you. I got a serious question for you: What the fuck are you doing? This is not shit for you to be messin' with. Are you ready to hear something? I want you to see if this sounds familiar: any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna fuck up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius - and you ain't no genius. You remember who told me that?

I think this is going to be interesting. 

...it was the spare dialog from the titular character that hooked me....I loved the hell out of his "aliases".....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gabler
  • Watched a Dutch warmovie. Translated the name would be The Battle at Schelde. The background lies in the so called Operation Market Garden  in automn of -44 after the rexonquering of Antwerpen they needed to, before continuing to Berlin, make sure that they had harbor support they had to win the grounds of both sides of the Schelde river. I liked this because it is told from the perspective of both Dutch, German and Allied main characters and it didn't glamorize any side. It had its weaknesses too but all in all it was good. And its refreshing to see new faces. Not a name i seen before which isnt strange because i dont know dutch actors. Have now learn its called the Forgotten Battle in English. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Another Netflix thriller - I See You. This one is low key but engrossing and it surprised me and the missus as to where it went.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • edited November 2023
    Watched CBGB.

It tells the story of the legendary New York club and its owner and how it became the mecca for the burgeoning punk movement, kick starting the careers of The Ramones, Talking Heads, The Police, Patti Smith, Blondie.....and many more.

Apparently this bombed when it was released, personally I enjoyed it, CBGB's was a venue I would loved to have seen, my namesake's band the Crumbsuckers regularly took part in the legendary Sunday matinee shows. Great performances from all involved especially Alan Rickman as the clubs owner Hilly Kristal.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gablernot_nadine
  • edited November 2023
    Notaro said:
    My daughter started watching Studio 666 last night so I sat down to watch it again. Still comes across as a fcuked up gore version of an episode of The Monkees tv show, it has some funny moments, Grohl is definitely a natural actor, he has great comedic timing.

haaa!  Must find it. This came to mind right away.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • Notaro said:
    My daughter started watching Studio 666 last night so I sat down to watch it again. Still comes across as a fcuked up gore version of an episode of The Monkees tv show, it has some funny moments, Grohl is definitely a natural actor, he has great comedic timing.

It's on Netflix n_n.
    not_nadineGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

It's on Netflix n_n.
    It’s not on America Netflix yet dang!
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Saw Unbroken. A movie about an olympic runner turned fighter pilot in the Pacific to prisoner in japanese prison camp. Felt like it would have been better if better focused. Now it was three stories in one told through flashbacks. The result it does not stand out in any cathegory. I think my three fave prison camp movies are The Great Escape, Stalag 17 and Escape From Sobibor
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gablernot_nadineNotaro
  • edited November 2023
    'The Killer'  Netflix      Oh my!  

KurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • ...yeppur, like I said a few days ago, pretty damn good film....
    Hedda GablerNotaro
  • Yep, ditto.. I watched The K__.er today too. It was good! 
    He scored points with me re: the dog. 😎
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroKurben
  • I See You 2019 - IMDb....2019 Horror Thriller....good cast, nasty twist.....
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • We watched and enjoyed two yesterday:

Past Lives, a Korean film starring Greta Lee from The Morning Show. About two people who were friends in Seoul until her family emigrated to America. They connect a couple of times in later years. A nice story.

Nyad, starring Jodie Foster, Annette Benning and Rhys Ifans, based on the true story of the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida. 

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • If anyone goes and sees napoleon, let me know what you think. Joaquin is terrifying playing these historic roles. He is intense. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • A Million Miles Away on Amazon Prime -- the true story of the first immigrant farmworker to become a NASA astronaut. A feel-good movie.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • A Million Miles Away on Amazon Prime -- the true story of the first immigrant farmworker to become a NASA astronaut. A feel-good movie.
    Agreed.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • There have been a series of Chaplin movies on national TV here. I took the opportunity. The Great Dictator, Modern Times, City Lights, Gold Fever, The Kid. That man was a comedic genius. I have seen them many times before but i still laugh. Masterpieces.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • ....been waiting for Black Adam to drop on Netflix, which it did yesterday....I'm like a little kid when it comes to Marvel and DC things-and this movie didn't disappoint....is it an award winner??...Hell nah!....but it kept me entertained for over two hours and to me that's all that matters....

Black Adam 2022 - IMDb
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice  A Movie Review  And There Came a  Day...dark, disjointed, unresolved-but still an interesting take on the characters....
    KurbenNotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Man of Steel - Rotten Tomatoes...2013.....shoulda oughta watched this one first....oh well, never been known for common sense.....good flick.....
  • I watched Whats Up, Doc from 1972 in a kind of homage to Ryan O'Neal. I always found it very funny. He and Streisand really works well together.
    Amazoncom Whats Up Doc  Barbra Streisand Ryan ONeal Madeline Kahn  Kenneth Mars Austin Pendleton Michael Murphy Philip Roth Sorrell Booke  Stefan Gierasch Mabel Albertson Liam Dunn John Hillerman Peter  Bogdanovich Buck
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Watched Leave The World Behind. about a cyberattack on the US and its consequences. It was OK. Made me have a gloomy thought. That it would not take a cyberattack to make americans fight eachother into a civil war today. They are doing a pretty good job at it now, at leasst on the road towards it. 
    Leave the World Behind 2023 - IMDb
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • Love and Monsters 2020 - IMDb...action/comedy that made me smile....