Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

PODCASTS

Comments

• Notaro said:
    And found out, Mick Garris is ending his podcast,  POSTMORTEM at the years end. I’m a little bummed. I found it to be a fun and informative way to spend some time. 
    Yeah I was bummed to hear Mick Garris is wrapping up his Post Mortem podcast, always an interesting listen, I'll miss it.
    Did he say why and I missed it? 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • ....it appears to have been "time" if I'm reading into it correctly....go out on top, not lingering only to molder away....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Yep as Scott says, he thinks it was the right time to bring it to an end.....

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/466717/bidding-farewell-to-the-post-mortem-with-mick-garris-podcast/
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • The Great Stories — Trev Downey

an Irish guy who reads short stories and then talks about them. I really enjoy this. He’s debating whether to keep the podcast going. If you got some bucks to spare, support the podcast. Or the listen numbers help too. The more people tuned in, he sees his hard work counts even if you don’t donate. 

The podcast is free. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • BBC Radio - "Made In Heaven"

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • The Loser's Club podcast started their deep dive into 11/22/63 recently. They just released the first episode. I believe they plan to do 6 or 7 episodes on the book. Should be an interesting listen. Love that book.
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Watching The National Gallery youtubes. My first — Caravaggio. 

Keep learning people. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited December 2023
    Watching The National Gallery youtubes. My first — Caravaggio. 

Keep learning people. 
    Caravaggio facts:

Quick facts…
    Born: September 29, 1571, Milan, Italy
    Died: July 18, 1610 (age 38 years), Porto Ercole, Italy
    Full name: Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio
    Form: Painting

The discussion was on The Supper at Emmaus

my next artist:

Hans Holbein

Quick facts…
    Cause of death: Plague
    Hidden symbol: a skull 
    Early life: born in Augsburg in southern Germany in the winter of 1497-8 
    Nationality: German, Swiss

Discussion was on his painting
     The Ambassadors . 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I listen to a podcast that posts librovox recordings. It is called, Great Literature. 

I was listening to one titled Historical Newspaper Articles 1848 to 1920. Fascinating stuff. 

In one article, a popular author William Nathaniel Harben (who I never heard of) predicted the demise of books and reading due to airplanes, cars and moving pictures. 

Apparently he wrote some detective stories. I wonder if they were any good? 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Sebastiano del Piombo

Born: 1485, Venice, Italy
    Died: June 21, 1547 (age 62 years), Rome, Italy
    Nationality: Italian
    Education: Giovanni Bellini, probably Giorgione
    Known for: Painting

Painting discussed — The Raising of Lazarus
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited January 5
    Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino, now generally known in English as Raphael, 

Born: 1483, Urbino, Italy
    Died: April 6, 1520 (age 37 years), Rome, Italy
    Full name: Raffaello Sanzio

Painting discussed:  Pope Julius II
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • BBC Radio  -  You Must Listen

FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    BBC Radio  -  You Must Listen

I listened to this today, it was good. But sad.
    GNTLGNT
  • New season 2 of Paul McCartneys Life In Lyrics. I really love this.  You can pay and get the whole season now or do like me and wait for them to be free and drop one at a time weekly. 
    GNTLGNT
  • edited February 11
    Bev, if you aren’t listening to Duolingo podcast, I recommend it.  Especially this season’s Duo film club. The episodes are short and a mixture of English and Spanish. This last episode, they talk about Como agua para chocolate — the movie, Like Water for chocolate. 

I understood this man. I bet I understood 80, 90 percent of his comments about the movie.  It was a breakthrough moment for me, that a-ha moment. 

I am so proud of myself. My hard work is starting to pay off in real things, not just the duo audios for learning, but actual things of interest . 

I think last week???? Was Pan’s Labyrinth, that was harder. 

It does make a difference who is talking and how fast. This week, I stayed with him with only a few glitches that were easy to fill in because of context clues of what else was being said. 

GNTLGNT
  • edited February 11
    Addendum:  they have pdf transcripts you can look at, but I don’t. I think i’m going to
    listen again to this last episode— it made all my studying almost tangible.  So encouraging!
    GNTLGNT
  • Promoting this again because it is so good The Great Stories podcast with Trev Downey.  

The stories he picks are good. His voice is easy and smooth. Some Stephen King stuff too. Discussion and comments after are interesting . 

If you aren’t interested, recommend it to
    others. I want him to continue. 
    GNTLGNT
  • Another good spanish podcast, Simple Stories in Spanish. They run about 15 minutes and are a wide variety of topics.  I’m listening back to 2020 segments on legends and folklore. 

Nice and slow, as your vocabulary grows, you are understanding.  Every day I listen to one of these. In time, I’ll be able to pick up the pace. But these are definite confidence boosters. 
    GNTLGNT
  • ...proud of ya!!....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited February 15
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...proud of ya!!....
    Thank you. Trying very hard to stay motivated and not wander out in traffic. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...proud of ya!!....
    Thank you. Trying very hard to stay motivated and not wander out in traffic. 
    ...I do it all the time...figure my big ass can put a hell of a dent in them there plastic body Detroit products....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • WUHN Radio - "The Peoria Plague

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I’d like to recommend an old podcast, newest episodes are 2013 but so worth the listen. Host Sedge Thomson is the best interviewer I’ve ever heard. Beautiful voice, great sense of humor, engaging and smart. Where is this guy now and what is he doing? 

Today I listened to David Sedaris, Joe Quirk, Spalding Gray and Eddie izzard.  Absolutely fascinating and fun. 

West Coast Live. Not the same old boring shit interview. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I’d like to recommend an old podcast, newest episodes are 2013 but so worth the listen. Host Sedge Thomson is the best interviewer I’ve ever heard. Beautiful voice, great sense of humor, engaging and smart. Where is this guy now and what is he doing? 

Today I listened to David Sedaris, Joe Quirk, Spalding Gray and Eddie izzard.  Absolutely fascinating and fun. 

West Coast Live. Not the same old boring shit interview. 
    https://www.exploratorium.edu/video/revealing-bodies-hosted-sedge-thomson
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir