Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• Notaro said:
    Rewatching this, The Woman In Black: Angel Of Death, with my daughter, a decent follow up to the 2012 hit.

Is the first one the one with Daniel Radcliffe? If so, i was  hugely disappointed In it. 

A term kicked around but very much true here, the first one was very atmospheric. The settings and props more intriguing to me than the characters, story or plot.  I was hyper focused on the look of the film.

This part 2 looks so much more interesting. Halfway through the trailer is the song from The innocents sung by Pamela Franklin.
    ....agreed on your summation....hell of a good look, not much of a such in the frights department......
    Hedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    The first one did have Daniel Radcliffe, I really loved it because it surprised me, and it sacred the bejesus out of my wife and daughter, when we watch movies together I get more enjoyment out of their reactions that the film itself 😀,. I recommend the original 1989 version Hedda, it was a made for TV movie but it has plenty going for it.

Here it is in two parts, 

Oh, I didn't know there was another film.  I'll watch this for comparison.
    GNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • @Notaro -- okay, I watched this and found it much more frightening than Daniel's version.  I'm trying to think why that is. 

While Radcliff's The Woman In Black was much more satisfying visually, (I so loved the look of the film and all the props and settings)  this one relied more on story I think.  Or I paid attention to the story better.  

Interesting.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

GNTLGNTNeesy
  • @Notaro -- okay, I watched this and found it much more frightening than Daniel's version.  I'm trying to think why that is. 

While Radcliff's The Woman In Black was much more satisfying visually, (I so loved the look of the film and all the props and settings)  this one relied more on story I think.  Or I paid attention to the story better.  

Interesting.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I think the original relied more on performance and atmosphere Hedda, there were no snazzy special effects to get in the way and muddy the overall feel of it. I really liked the Radcliffe one but I wasn't bowled over by it on first viewing, it took me 2 or 3 viewings to get over my initial scepticism. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I may have to watch Daniel's version again.  Maybe I wasn't in the right headspace to appreciate it.  I'll be more aware of that next time I see it.
    NotaroGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Coming in September - I am definitely on board for this one

GNTLGNTNeesy
  • Oh, that looks smart!  Love the take.
    BevVincentGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I like the look of that, colour me impressed. 🙂
    BevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Rewatched Event Horizon with my daughter last, I enjoyed it, I think it holds up pretty well, nice creepy vibe to it.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Rewatching this, Quarantine, the remake of the Spanish movie [REC], as remakes go it's actually pretty good.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Da 5 Bloods

The schooling comes fast and furious in this movie which is typical spike lee. This time it worked.  I liked the story and the history was an integral part of it.  Instead of feeling like an after  school special, this one was creative in reminding us of man’s inhumanity to man. 

Good job spike. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • Da 5 Bloods

The schooling comes fast and furious in this movie which is typical spike lee. This time it worked.  I liked the story and the history was an integral part of it.  Instead of feeling like an after  school special, this one was creative in reminding us of man’s inhumanity to man. 

Good job spike. 
    ....I'm glad I looked up the synopsis.....thought it was a gang flick......can't imagine why....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Da 5 Bloods

Good job spike. 
    ....I'm glad I looked up the synopsis.....thought it was a gang flick......can't imagine why....
    Spike can be a one trick pony with his really forced social commentary.  It can take you out of his movies because it's just so badly done.  The way he did it here with the subject matter, like I said, it worked.  And I understand he just so badly wants to educate and open people's eyes.  I get it.  He just doesn't do it that well in most of his movies IMO.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • i’m thinking of ending things dropped on Netflix. It looks intriguing. If any of you watch it, please share your thoughts and comments. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesycat
  • ....watched Denzel Washington in The Equalizer the other night.....he did well in a predictable movie.....enjoyed the TV series more.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesyNotarocat
  • Andy is watching a Harry Potter marathon - he's recording them so he can fast forward the commercials (or "adverts" as he calls them)

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • i’m thinking of ending things dropped on Netflix. It looks intriguing. If any of you watch it, please share your thoughts and comments. 
    I saw this post while I was at work and really wanted to reply.  A year or so ago I saw the book on a reading list and I was intrigued so I delved into the reviews.  One of the first reviews I read said "You'll be afraid, but you won't know why".  They got ever stranger.  Many suggested reading it twice - a few said they read it back to front the second time around.  I was so on the fence about it that I read the spoiler. All I can say is :  you go first and tell me!! I still want to read it, and after I saw the trailer on Netflix (and that Toni Collette is in it) I'm really wanting to watch it.  I'm apprehensive though - I get the feeling it's something that stays with you and stirs emotions that linger.  But Bravo to Iain Reid!  He's got something going on there. Let me know what you think.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
    I saw this post while I was at work and really wanted to reply.  A year or so ago I saw the book on a reading list and I was intrigued so I delved into the reviews.  One of the first reviews I read said "You'll be afraid, but you won't know why".  They got ever stranger.  Many suggested reading it twice - a few said they read it back to front the second time around.  I was so on the fence about it that I read the spoiler. All I can say is :  you go first and tell me!! I still want to read it, and after I saw the trailer on Netflix (and that Toni Collette is in it) I'm really wanting to watch it.  I'm apprehensive though - I get the feeling it's something that stays with you and stirs emotions that linger.  But Bravo to Iain Reid!  He's got something going on there. Let me know what you think.
    Okay, I have to watch this now after all that.  I'll let you know when I do.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirNotaro
  • edited September 2020
    i’m thinking of ending things dropped on Netflix. It looks intriguing. If any of you watch it, please share your thoughts and comments. 
    Okay Holly. I watched this.  I knew nothing about it other than the trailer and what you said.  So I went into this very clean slate.

I knew very quickly what the simple story was.  I knew who, what, when, where and why almost from the get go and I stayed focused on that despite all the bits of odd and disjointed noise that was introduced fast and furious.   

Every visual/audio thing layered into the scenes, I was able to relate it to what I thought was the real story.  

When I finished the movie, only then did I go look up the book, reviews and interviews and found out that yes, I had this one nailed.  There are a handful of visuals that I'm still trying to figure out, but I could explain most of it.  And there are visuals that I thought were really important that no one seems to mention or if they do, it's just in passing.  

When I read a book or watch a movie, my mind is immediately trying to figure it out -- I'm way ahead in the story trying to ascertain, what is going on here?  And sometimes I get it right.  But I absolutely love when I get it wrong.  It makes me laugh when I get it wrong because the unexpected surprise is so fabulous!  In this case, I was quite thrilled I figured all this out so quickly.

Charlie Kaufman is a screenplay writer, director, author whose movie credits are things like Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.   I have not seen any of his movies so didn't have any preconceived idea of what this one would be -- does he stay within a certain style when telling his tales?

This movie reminded me of Mother!, which hardly anyone I know has seen.  It too is very trippy.  I found it fascinating for just how odd it was, how strange and challenging the scenes grew to be.  Even after watching Mother! and then going and reading about it, I'm still not sure what it all was about.  There was symbolism I understood and then there was stuff that was like those old black and white French experimental films that only the cool daddy-o's snapping their fingers and wearing their raspberry berets and bright red dickeys understood.   i'm thinking of ending things is this type of weird arthouse thing. But instead of feeling drunk and unbalanced, I was able to block out all the noise and get to the real quiet nature of the story.

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHollyGolightly
  • edited September 2020
    Lenny --

Starring Dustin Hoffman  and a face I haven't seen in years, Valerie Perrine.  Apparently she is struggling with Parkinson's and one Google hit I got was she died yesterday!  But, nothing else is corrorborating that.  So, I hope she is doing well, it sounds like she is terribly ill.  I'm always so fascinated by women whose sexuality and nudity is no big deal to them.  

This movie is one of those things that I constantly hear mentioned in books or other movies or TV shows and while I am very aware of Lenny, I had never seen this movie and Dustin is one of my favorite actors.

Lenny Bruce is quite interesting.  He actively sought self-destruction, eventually dying of an accidental overdose.   There is a suggestion that it was perhaps suicide due to his legal issues.  He was a pretty disgusting guy really.  And I'm not talking his word choices in his comedy.  He really just wasn't that funny IMO and his personal life was a friggin' cesspool.  Nope, not my scene.

It amazes me what he kept getting arrested for is pretty standard fare these days.  We were a very hypocritical bunch as Lenny loved pointing out.   I don't take particular pleasure in the downfall of a puritan hypocrite -- but I do.   Me thinks they do protest too much.  

Lenny's life was pretty sad.  Why are creative people so fragile?

This was a Criterion Channel selection.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHollyGolightly
  • ....yeppur.....she was one that stirred a young man's libido.......very fetching....
    Valerie Perrines Feet  wikiFeet
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyNeesy
  • edited September 2020
    Sisterwife!! You are a brilliant wordsmith.  Thank you for that info.  I am now certain that the content is just too intense for me.  I'm not sure that "being an an empath" is a real thing - but I am certain I have too much empathy than my heart can handle and just the things I've  read about the book had me worried about the author, his mother, his future - so many things I can't say without spoiling it.  I had heard it compared to We Need to Talk About Kevin - and that book haunted me.  Lionel Shriver, A.M. Homes, and Bret Easton Ellis are authors I avoid because of the intense, unapologetic sense of unease I'm left with after reading their books (Clive Barker too).  Something about the style and subject matter of their books leaves me unsettled for too long.  Do you think you'll read the book now?

I have seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I really enjoyed it.  When I read that Charlie Kaufman did I'm Thinking of Ending Things, I felt he would be really well suited for that project.  Totally his "thing".

I'd like to see Lenny - I don't know much about him - he appears as a character in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  (I've watched 2 seasons, I'm keeping the 3rd waiting for a bit longer).  His shock value comedy seems mundane to me now (but we grew up with Richard Pryor).  

I did not watch Mother - my son told me it would trouble me and that's all it took. He said the visuals would bother me.  I've read a bit about it, and I think he's right.  Though it seems the story is not too unsettling. I think I'd be good at understanding the symbolism in that.

The Ogre is watching Silver Bullet (it's on AMC this morning).  Somehow he's never seen it - it's one of my favorites.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • Re-watched Bram Stoker's Dracula with my daughter, she loved it. I think it has aged well, Gary Oldman is just fantastic in it. Watched Hammer film's The Mummy this evening, been at least 40 years since I've seen it, it's visually striking but it's a very slow moving film, not really one of Hammer's best. Still, Peter Cushing gives an excellent performance as usual and Christopher is very effective in the title role.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    Re-watched Bram Stoker's Dracula with my daughter, she loved it. I think it has aged well, Gary Oldman is just fantastic in it. Watched Hammer film's The Mummy this evening, been at least 40 years since I've seen it, it's visually striking but it's a very slow moving film, not really one of Hammer's best. Still, Peter Cushing gives an excellent performance as usual and Christopher is very effective in the title role.

.....it's amazing how well the older films still hold up, in this age of CGI everything.....credit to the companies who put in the work.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirNeesy