Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

TWEETS from the Twitsters

Comments

• @Kurben . I’d enjoy hearing what you have to say about this, what you can teach us.  
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • ....don't see no doggos......
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • 4th from the left
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • My tweet about THE RIG (typo and all) made it into the Glasgow Times!

• @Kurben . I’d enjoy hearing what you have to say about this, what you can teach us.  
    Well.... When Vasa was built Sweden was part of the 30 year war that tore Europe apart between 1618 and 1648 (before the WW,s probably the bloodiest of wars in europe). Our King at the time Gustav II Adolf (one of our warrior Kings) was busy with war against Poland both at land and at sea and had ordered Vasa to help with the naval war. It was a fiasco. It sank 1628 after having sailed about 1 km. A funny detail is that because the king had approved every step of the building process in person noone could be held responsible (a king is obviously infallible) so it was seen as higher power thing. (and Sweden were beating Poland without it). After some attempts of rescuing that failed it was forgotten and the exact place of where it was just a guess.  Until 1956 when an amateur researcher and engineer and a friend who was a diver managed to locate the exact spot again. 5 years of uninterrupted marine archaeological research was done and then it was lifted above the sea in 1961. Now it has its own museum. It is unique. It is the only big ship from 17,th century that is so well preserved. Not only the ship but masts, sails, coins, tools, canons, weapons, clothes, food and drink. Thanks to everything being so well preserved it has told us a lot of how people lived in ships, how they fought, how they were built. Without it we would know far less. It is an experience to visit too....    At the excavation they found skeletal remains from 16 individuals that didn't make it out of the ship when it sunk. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Thanks Kurben. As always, interesting!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Kurben said:

@Kurben . I’d enjoy hearing what you have to say about this, what you can teach us.  
    Well.... When Vasa was built Sweden was part of the 30 year war that tore Europe apart between 1618 and 1648 (before the WW,s probably the bloodiest of wars in europe). Our King at the time Gustav II Adolf (one of our warrior Kings) was busy with war against Poland both at land and at sea and had ordered Vasa to help with the naval war. It was a fiasco. It sank 1628 after having sailed about 1 km. A funny detail is that because the king had approved every step of the building process in person noone could be held responsible (a king is obviously infallible) so it was seen as higher power thing. (and Sweden were beating Poland without it). After some attempts of rescuing that failed it was forgotten and the exact place of where it was just a guess.  Until 1956 when an amateur researcher and engineer and a friend who was a diver managed to locate the exact spot again. 5 years of uninterrupted marine archaeological research was done and then it was lifted above the sea in 1961. Now it has its own museum. It is unique. It is the only big ship from 17,th century that is so well preserved. Not only the ship but masts, sails, coins, tools, canons, weapons, clothes, food and drink. Thanks to everything being so well preserved it has told us a lot of how people lived in ships, how they fought, how they were built. Without it we would know far less. It is an experience to visit too....    At the excavation they found skeletal remains from 16 individuals that didn't make it out of the ship when it sunk. 
    That is incredible... I bet it's a real wonder, up close. Thank you.. (and thanks for asking Hedda)
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • ...that is interesting....."bring him his due reward".....
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Animals are amazing. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited January 2023
    Kurben said:

@Kurben . I’d enjoy hearing what you have to say about this, what you can teach us.  
    A follow up question Kurben:   How did they preserve this out if the water? It was soggy water logged. How did they dry it out safely so it wouldn’t fall apart?  The job must have been meticulous and taken forever to do. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • ....a ginormous silica gel pack.....

What Happens If You Eat Silica Gel Adults Children and Pets
  • Kurben said:

A follow up question Kurben:   How did they preserve this out if the water? It was soggy water logged. How did they dry it out safely so it wouldn’t fall apart?  The job must have been meticulous and taken forever to do. 
    A long process.... Vasa originally sank in place about 32 meters deep. It was cold, dark and low in oxygen and it was built of Oak which is a very resistant kind of tree. When it was lifted, in 1961, and the air got access to the timber it speeded up the process of degrading. Therefore a special place was created where the temp and the humidity was controlled and there the conservation process was ongoing for 17 years. It was sprayed with a preserving liquid that i forgotten the name of during that time. Other things was done as well. That takes to us about 1978-79. After that the drying out process starts, still in a controlled environment so the tree wont shrink. That takes an additional 9 years and in 1988 Vasa is transferred to the museum which basically is an enormous display booth that you actually can enter. Still updates are made of course but the main work is done. The preservation place where all the work was done actually served as a museum too. I think i saw it for the first time in the beginning of the 70,s. 
  • edited February 2023

I would like to nominate the obnoxious —

Coming of Age.  Quit saying this. Please. I beg people. You are writers, reviewers, participants in discussions — think of a new way to say this you stagnant bastards!
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • ...or the "optics" of something......y'all ain't makin' glasses or rifle scopes.....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • And… i’m crying. Again. Ugh. Maybe I cry so easily because I bore the hell out of myself.  But this isn’t boring. This is beauty.

BevVincentGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirNeesy

• I would like to nominate the obnoxious —

Coming of Age.  Quit saying this. Please. I beg people. You are writers, reviewers, participants in discussions — think of a new way to say this you stagnant bastards!
    Welllll, I no sooner express my irritation than Cemetery Dance sends me an email promoting a Stoker-nominated Coming-of-Age book — The Year of the Storm. Groan. 

And, elsewhere I make a disparaging comment about Live, Laugh, Love.  😂😂
    Brian Keene tweets a lovely “write, live, laugh, love” comment.  Adorbs. 😂❤️
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • ....at least it wasn't an extrapolation of nut roundness to tail fluffies....
    FlakeNoirKurbenNeesy