Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

I'm Jealous of Big Threads Redux

Comments

• ....that is classic!!....and had to be physically difficult to do....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerNeesyMarsha
  • edited June 2021
    Maybe one of you guys can explain this— i love laurel and hardy, but couldn’t stand the 3 stooges.  Yes, they could make me laugh from time to time, but i’d turn the channel if i had a choice.  And not to make a sweeping statement ,but most women I know are in the same camp.

Same type of humor, so why the disconnect?
    GNTLGNTKurbendoyoulove19FlakeNoirMarsha
  • ....possibly because so much of the Stooges humor was based on physical/violent comedy?.....the kinda dumb stuff guys would do to their brothers and friends....yes, scripting and staging was also funny, but moreso the constant beating they gave each other...Stan and Ollie had physical comedy, but of a much more organic nature and they didn't abuse one another....writing was clever and the gestalt much more gentle....that's my two ducats....
    Kurbendoyoulove19Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....that is classic!!....and had to be physically difficult to do....
    I don't know.  I tend to do this at least once a month or so... get to laughing so hard that I have tears in my eyes while my family looks on in confusion/amusement.  It's usually when I am tired, but yeah, not too difficult!  LOL  I look just like that!   :D
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesyMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....that is classic!!....and had to be physically difficult to do....
    I don't know.  I tend to do this at least once a month or so... get to laughing so hard that I have tears in my eyes while my family looks on in confusion/amusement.  It's usually when I am tired, but yeah, not too difficult!  LOL  I look just like that!   :D
    Those are the best laughs.  You are so tired and something strikes your funny bone -- hard.  You are rolling with laughter and everyone else is just gawking at you.  

I love to laugh like that.
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesydoyoulove19Marsha
  • edited June 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....possibly because so much of the Stooges humor was based on physical/violent comedy?.....the kinda dumb stuff guys would do to their brothers and friends....yes, scripting and staging was also funny, but moreso the constant beating they gave each other...Stan and Ollie had physical comedy, but of a much more organic nature and they didn't abuse one another....writing was clever and the gestalt much more gentle....that's my two ducats....
    I don’t know about  that. Laurel and hardy smacked each other too. Poked and pushed.  Maybe they were just more vulnerable about it.  Where the stooges were like ornery brothers like you observe. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTdoyoulove19Marsha
This discussion has been closed.