Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• YES!!!! The best “religion”? 

Treat fucking people the way you want to be treated. 
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirSusanNorton
  • Reading Airframe by Michael Crichton. One of his thrillers without that little extra i think. Or is that i'm just so in love with Dinos and Aliens? According to critics his best since Jurassic Park which i dont agree with. Not that its bad but to me its lacking a bit of that Crichton flair.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Kurben said:
    Reading Airframe by Michael Crichton. One of his thrillers without that little extra i think. Or is that i'm just so in love with Dinos and Aliens? According to critics his best since Jurassic Park which i dont agree with. Not that its bad but to me its lacking a bit of that Crichton flair.
    I haven't read that one yet, but I love Crichton's books. I'm starting The Andromeda Strain tonight.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    Kurben said:
    Reading Airframe by Michael Crichton. One of his thrillers without that little extra i think. Or is that i'm just so in love with Dinos and Aliens? According to critics his best since Jurassic Park which i dont agree with. Not that its bad but to me its lacking a bit of that Crichton flair.
    I haven't read that one yet, but I love Crichton's books. I'm starting The Andromeda Strain tonight.
    ....read that one multiple times as a very young GNT, on the recommendation of my Dad....boy am I glad I did.....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Starting Strange Weather by Joe Hill. This has been in my TBR pile for a long time. Compilation of 4 novellas.... Where can that idea have come from...??? Having hopes for this one!
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • ...it's definitely a good-un....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • It's quite good. Speaking of Joe, he's selling some signed copies of his books from his personal collection for charity. I bought a signed hardcover copy of NOS4A2 this morning. Here's the link if anyone is interested:
    https://skeltoncrewstudio.bigcartel.com/
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • The World A Family History  Montefiore Simon Sebag Amazonse Books
    Very original, and entertaining take on a world history. Starts with neanderthal and ends with Trump and Obama. He uses families, many different families, to tell the story across all the continents which is nice. Not so europe and northamerica centralized as other attempts. When you have such a big scope on your story the problem for the author is to keep his characters interesting (or you can chose to skip characters all together and write about themes which i dont like). Montefiore solves this by using families to make all the characters relatable and let us at the same time shudder at the many atrocities they commit. For, lets face it, the world did not become the place it is today because we were nice to eachother. It is 1200+ pages but considering the time and space he covers i think thats well condensed. Just started but very promising. My birthday present to myself!
  • ...so it comes full circle then....Neanderthals to Politicians?..... :D
    KurbenFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...so it comes full circle then....Neanderthals to Politicians?..... :D
    Many of our elected officials aren't too much more advanced than Neanderthals, if you ask me. On both sides of the aisle  :D
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...so it comes full circle then....Neanderthals to Politicians?..... :D
    I think the Neanderthals were much more sensible than than many politicians i know of, all over the map.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • ...a bug stuck in amber has more active brain cells.....
    KurbenFlakeNoir

• The Unconquerable by Helen MacInnes 1990-04-26 Amazoncom Books
    Macinnes is, IMO, one of the more underrated authors of spy/adventure stories. Almost forgotten sadly. I rank her above Maclean and john le carre in general though they both had some really good ones. There is also a big difference between them. In their books it is usually professionals that handle the danger. MacInnes usually has a main character, quite ordinary, that quite reluctantly gets dragged into affairs there it is sink or swim that goes. Here a 22 year old british girl gets stranded in warsaw when war erupts, borders are closed and end up being a freelance british spy in warsaw and berlin during the war. Macinnes main characters are much more relatable and you can recognize yourself in them. 
  • ....interesting....always learn something new from you Kurby.....
  • A Very Private School — Charles Spencer

I have always found the practice of sending small kids to boarding school neglectful and selfish.  

Flake , Notaro, Kurben — is this your schooling experience? Was your education boarding schools? 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • A Very Private School — Charles Spencer

I have always found the practice of sending small kids to boarding school neglectful and selfish.  

Flake , Notaro, Kurben — is this your schooling experience? Was your education boarding schools? 
    Nope! Never even considered. There are a few boarding schools existing in Sweden but they are rather rare. The big majority of all kids in sweden go to school in the morning and come home when its out.
  • I just sauntered in to a second hand bookshop..... Came out with a few i'd like to ask opinions on...  The Ink-Black Heart by Robert Galbraith, also The Watch by Harlan coben. Any good?? Paid half a us dollar for each.
  • ....YOU???....a Bookstore??????.....I'da never thunk it....Coben is good, not familiar with Galbraith....
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....YOU???....a Bookstore??????.....I'da never thunk it....Coben is good, not familiar with Galbraith....
    Robert Galbraith is the pen name of JK Rowling. I've heard lots of good things about the Galbraith books, but I've never read them.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • edited March 20
    On my god. Karen Russell has a new novel and a new short story collection coming out in 2025. 

I love her writing. Now I just need to live long enough. 
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir

• Widowland Amazoncouk Carey C J 9781529411980 Books
    Reading Widowland by C:J. Carey. A dystopian alternate history where england formed an alliance with germany to avoid war in 1940. Now its 1953 and the Leader (Hitler) and his seconds (Goebbels and Himmler) are forming plans for how to brainwash the youth. Reads like a mixture of Margaret Atwood and George Orwell. Perhaps not at their stylistic level, hard to do, but in tone. Started really promising.
  • Finished Widowland. Started well but its ending could have been better. An interesting dystopian alternative history though. The author has obviously read A Handmaids Tale but is no Margaret Atwood. So this story packs a much lesser punch. But well worth reading. I am to Full Throttle by Joe Hill now, about halfway, A short story collection that contains his two collaborations with King (that i have read before). Now i'm reading the rest. So far it strikes as a bit uneven but to be honest thats what i think of almost all short story collections.
  • ....definitely Kurb......by nature, not everyone's a winner-yet it allows us to see into the creative process to some small degree.... 
  • Kurben said:
    Finished Widowland. Started well but its ending could have been better. An interesting dystopian alternative history though. The author has obviously read A Handmaids Tale but is no Margaret Atwood. So this story packs a much lesser punch. But well worth reading. I am to Full Throttle by Joe Hill now, about halfway, A short story collection that contains his two collaborations with King (that i have read before). Now i'm reading the rest. So far it strikes as a bit uneven but to be honest thats what i think of almost all short story collections.
    There are some really good ones in that collection, though. Late Returns is one of his best stories, I think.
    KurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Started Blackout by Simon Scarrow. About a cop in Nazi germany that gets assigned a case of a brutally murdered girl where the clues lead into powerful circles. I have read Scarrow before but then one of his many historical novels about two soldiers in the roman army. I have long thought that what he need is to switch scene and now finally hes done it. Looks good so far.